3.15.2013

Attempting Elizabeth

Attempting Elizabeth
Jessica Grey
Tall House Books, 2013

Raise your hand if you've ever wished you could meet Mr. Darcy. Not just "a Mr. Darcy," but the Mr. Darcy. (I really hope I'm not the only one with my hand up...) Forget, for a moment, that he's just an epic, dashingly broody and romantic hero in literature. Forget about the small detail that Mr. Darcy - and Elizabeth, Bingley, Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine - exist only because one Jane Austen had the incredible genius to dream them up. And imagine, if you will, that it's somehow possible to live their story. Mmhmm, you know what I mean. And Jessica Grey (whose forays into the fairy tale realm have kept me giddy) offers us a winning heroine - Kelsey - who manages to jump into Pride and Prejudice. Talk about living the dream ...

Not everything is picture perfect for Kelsey though, especially when she first realizes she's in the book. No matter which character she gets tossed into (the first is Georgiana), Kelsey has to "perform" true to the book's pattern -- or else she has to repeat the scene over and over again. And yet, as she learns to navigate the finer art of book-jumping, Kelsey is drawn to the concept again and again. The ultimate goal: becoming Elizabeth, and thus gaining Mr. Darcy. Because let's face it: in the real world, Kelsey's life seems comically awry. What she doesn't realize is that her experiences in the book are helping her get a better handle on reality. So when her real-world misadventures collide with the book - well, let's just say it's the ultimate reality check. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Not only is the story itself fascinating and addicting, but Jessica does such an amazing job of working in geeky references. I was beside myself. Kelsey is the ultimate geeky fangirl, and I was able to identify with her on. all. the. things. Truly awesome. Plus, it's just too much fun to read an Austenesque novel that has Star Wars commentary. I mean, seriously. Tell me that's not awesome.

eARC provided by author for review.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this book-I'm a huge Austen fan and adore all the different retellings and plays on it. This version sounds so unique and definitely worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this epic review of AE! I love that you identify with Kels on all. the. things.

    Me too.

    ReplyDelete