11.24.2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today is one of my favorite holidays: Thanksgiving...

...and not just because it's the start of a 4-day weekend of football, food and family either.
No, really!

Today is the day when we consciously stop to think about what's important...what we've been blessed with...how good we've got it...

I'm thankful for my family - for the ones who share my genes, and the group of friends who might as well be blood, because we're just that close.

I'm thankful for my country - even when it's messed up and struggling, it's the greatest land in the world. The land of the free, home of the brave. Where I can dream anything, and know I have a fightin' chance to make it come true. Where I can wander around in jeans and bare feet, knowing I'm safe.

I'm beyond blessed with freedom - and always aware that it's been purchased with blood.

I'm thankful for the chances I have, the opportunities I get - to read, to write, to chase down dreams and sunny afternoons...to meet international scholars, to get to know authors and fellow readers...to laugh and to cry, to make new friends and reconnect with old ones...

I'm thankful for the people in my life who make me smile on my bad days, and let me return the favor on theirs.

I'm thankful for every breath I breathe, every move I make, and every beat of my heart.

So while I'm feeding my insatiable hibernation-instinct-hunger with the amazingness of Thanksgiving feasting, and screaming myself hoarse watching football, know that I am, truly, thankful for the sheer ability to do so.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment